Sadler and Starlight Discussion Forum
 Cruising Chute
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mfurming

62 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  14:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just bought a s/h cruising chute originally used on a Bavaria 30. Its only been used a couple of time so I think I have a good sail. Now for the question: I'm wondering where is the best point to attach the tack on a S32. Would it be a good idea to attach to the pulpit to get the sail as far forward as possible.
Your thoughts are much appreciated

Michael Furminger
Dasler - S32

Neil Wallace

440 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  14:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,

I wouldn't attach it to the pulpit as the side loads from the sail could pull it out of the deck. Have a look at how it is fastened to the deck first; considering it plays a part in keeping crew on board I think it is somewhat "under engineered" for that role!

On my boat I have used an old dinghy aluminium spinnaker pole held half way along its length by the anchor pin in the stem head fitting through the pole, and the rear end held to the anchor winch rope drum by a loop of very strong shock cord. This puts the tack of the cruising chute about 2 feet ahead of the pulpit and the tack line (my spinnaker pole uphaul) goes through a small block at the forward end of the pole so that I can control it from the cockpit. I use my chute only in light airs.

Regards,

Neil W.
"Amon-Ra", 1986 Sadler 34, Holyhead.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Hewitt

78 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  16:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use my spinnaker pole downhaul as the tack line and run it from the tack of the chute down and through the stem head fitting, between the roller and the anchor pin, and back to the cockpit.

I have used it in lively condition without problems. The concern I have is catching on the nav lights when gybing, but we walk the sail round and it hasn't been a problem so far. I would like to get it further forward, as Neil has done, but haven't found an easy way of doing it yet.

Steve
Galingale - S32
Go to Top of Page

Dave Ellis

254 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  08:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope the sail is big enough. There's a Bavaria 30 cruiser in our club which is fractionlly rigged with the cruising chute flown from the top of the forestay and it's not a very large sail. I would think a Sadler 32 would want a large masthead sail.

Regards
Dave Ellis
Sadler 29 "Close Encounter"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sadler and Starlight Owners Association © Design by Gamalan Media Group - www.gamalan.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000